Latest News: Ben finished the marathon in 3:56:22, and David finished the half marathon in 2:22:14. Thanks to all for their support! We raised $1,000 for Global Hope Network International. Race photos are available on Ben’s Shutterfly site! You can also check out race recaps from both Ben and David!
In an effort to help disaster relief efforts around the globe, two distance-running veterans, Benjamin Isaacson and David Hoskinson, will be running at the Wisconsin Marathon and Half Marathon on May 7, 2011 to benefit Global Hope Network International, an organization founded ‘to bring help and hope to the hidden & hurting’.
- While GHNI is not as large an organization as those previously supported by RunningHungry.org, their multi-faceted approach to community development and disaster relief has proven successful around the globe. Take a moment to learn about GNHI’s misson, story, and method through these links.
- The focus of this campaign is to raise awareness and financial support for GHNI’s disaster relief efforts, specifically those in Japan and Egypt.
Japan – On March 11th, Japan was rocked by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake. The resulting tsunami devastated the city of Sendai and nearby coastal communities. Aid is urgently needed to assist all those affected. Read GHNI updates from Japan.
Egypt – While Egypt has faded from news reports in the U.S., the political turmoil remains. In addition, refugees from Libya are crossing the border, most of whom lack the means to provide for themselves. The greatest need right now is food for the poor families throughout the country. Read GHNI updates from Egypt.
- Here’s how you can get involved:
- Make a pledge on this page. Since funds are urgently needed, instructions are provided if you are able to make your donation immediately.
- Both Ben and David have set challenging but attainable goal times. Ben is attempting to complete the full marathon in four hours, and David is trying to complete the half marathon in two hours. You can pledge to donate an additional amount if we achieve our goal of a combined time of six hours or less. Again, details are on the Pledge! page.
- Encourage Ben and David by signing the guestbook and leaving a message of support.
- Will you be in the Kenosha area on May 7? Join us at the race and become a part of Team RunningHungry!
- Visit the fun page to predict Ben and David’s finishing times. Whoever is closest wins a prize!
We know that many organizations are providing assistance to those affected by disasters around the globe, and the times continue to be financially challenging. We are very grateful for your partnership in this endeavor, even if you are only able to offer prayers and words of support at this time. Thanks very much!
Read more about Ben’s running efforts, including recent races, at Ben’s Running Log.
Please enjoy this video of Ben and David running the Air Force Marathon in Dayton, Ohio, in September, 2009. Ben happens to be wearing a shirt from the Wisconsin Marathon!